So the fine folks at IBM 'splained the situation. I'll merely quote their response:

"CPI3229 is a normal informational message when file QADBRSDFR is
created. This file contains the information needed to recreate the
deferred files. DSPFFD shows it contains several fields of data type
BLOB with a field length of 2GB. Together these field lengths total more
than 3.5GB. But I believe these are maximum lengths; typical data will
actually be much less.
Message CPI3229 will always be in the Joblog when the Database System
File QADBRSDFR has to be created or recreated."

Since this restore was being done with a specified DFRID it makes sense that the QADBRSDFR file would need to be created. Indeed the next message in the joblog indicates that file was created. I did not tie the messages together.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com