IBM is the company, Silverlake is the brand. Sys/6, Sys/38, AS400, i are all models.

Simple, everyone understands it immediately, and it works. No one is offended, and with time, the self-inflicted Google problem goes away.

Problem solved.

On 12/12/2012 12:43 PM, DeLong, Eric wrote:
Ugh, to me, this is the dividing line between people who see a future in this platform, contrasting with those who see only the past...

Time to look ahead, learn new skills, and show that we're NOT just that legacy platform that has those ugly, character-mode screens...

Running and ducking,
-Eric DeLong

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark D
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:06 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Software Vendors (And US too) - A small rant

You can tell by the number of responses how polarizing this issue is.
I'd be very curious which roles the purists have versus the roles of the
people who call IBM silly and will still call it AS400. Perhaps the
issue is that I have one dog in this fight while some of you have all of
your dogs in it.

Right but it's not a fight, but rather practicality. As many have said,
IBM i is basically unrecognizable through 1/2 of the industry, a
horrible google search term, it doesn't roll off the tongue. AS/400
sounds beautiful but iSeries is better. Saying IBM i in causal
conversation even amongst people who know just sounds odd and usually
ends up in someone saying "whatever the hell we're supposed to call it
today".

That and it's inconsistent. The library I use every day is
IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries. That's at least part of the reason it's still the
iSeries to me.

When I login on 5250 I see one single thing on the main menu that
reminds me that it's IBM i. But our admin's login screen still says
iSeries. We've only had our 7.1 box a month. You shouldn't be too
surprised that it's still as400 or iseries when shops are still running
as400 or iseries boxes ;) Plus, you can change the name all you want
but it's still for all intents and purpose the same product, just with
more features bolted on, coupled with very few reminders of a changed name.

I can understand the gripe about a software vendor working on 7.1
though. But the story about someone walking away from the deal because
the wrong name was used is simply batshit. Clearly that person has no
vested interest in the financial health of their company if they walk
away from deals based on silly emotions or theories. Does this industry
consists of nothing but type A personality people similar to "Sheldon"
from the big bang theory? I guess I can understand if that's the case.

Which brings me to my final point. It just doesn't matter. Mountains
out of molehills. I argue that anyone who calls it AS400 is still
right. The whole point of the system is to blur the lines between old
and new. 5250 is still the main interface, the system still has no
VGA/PS2 keyboard port... "Your old software can run unmodified on this
new hardware". So why are people so surprised when the line is blurry?
Changing the name won't convince anyone that the system is modern or
different. They still see the green screen, to them it's still old. The
true problem here is that the technology people (us) are inept at
explaining to others why it's still good and why the system is (very)
far from archaic. The secondary problem is that we shouldn't have to,
IBM should do a better job conveying but based on the old OS/2
commercials if those idiots are still running the marketing department,
IBM i is headed straight for the dumpster.

Here is an honest question. If an ISV develops for and knows V5R4.
What are they missing? What makes them stupid or irrelevant? Can they
not develop an excellent product that runs on 7.1 without even touching
it? Isn't that the WHOLE POINT of this system? What are the new must
haves from a software development perspective of 7.1 that they don't
know? Web services integration? V5R4 had that, Java? Had it, etc.
Similarly plenty of people coding on 7.1 are dinosaurs who haven't
embraced anything new and the system happily coddles them.

Thanks,
Mark