From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Alan Campin
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2012 6:45 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: What style of RPG program can communicate with PHP?

I have never created a web service but my understanding is that unless you write Java that the web service takes your XML coming and transforms it into PCML to pass as parameters to the RPG which puts you right back where you started.

An example where XML makes things simple. I worked on a stored procedure that processed a screen written in Java that was for invoice search. You could enter one of a two dozen criteria and any combination which was implemented as parameters so you had a program coming in with twenty some parameters. The code was a nightmare. You had to look at each parameter and see if it was used and then start building an SQL statement based on which one they entered.

With XML, you just do what I sent in the previous example. The only code that gets executed is the code for the customer and the date and it is all handled by your expat parser.

Another example might be a GUI screen where you can pick a from a list and inside each list you can then pick from another list. I had an example of this in the past but I cannot remember what is was.

With parameters I somehow have to code parameters for arrays inside of arrays and variable number of each. Now technically i could do it but it is going to be a nightmare. With XML, I just have something like:

<request>
<customer>ABC</customer>
<shipto>ABC01</shipto>
<shipto>ABC02</shipto>
<customer>DEF</customer>
<shipto>DEF01</shipto>
</request>

No guarantee as to being right. Just thrown together. The point being that I express any complex value with ease vs trying to make it fit into parameters and what is sent is elastic.

We dealt with the whole issue of 32k limits by abstracting the interface away. We built a java class that read a configuration file to determine how to communicate to the AS/400(Program, Service Program, Stored Procedure, Data Queue) and then we had mediators on the AS/400 for each type. In our case we used user spaces to send data in and back out. If I did it again I would use IFS files. To the Java programmer using the class they never even knew the AS/400 existed. You could change the configuration and in a few seconds you could be using a different method. It was just messages back and forth. The business logic was written as service programs with the same interface for everything. Performance was excellent.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Scott Klement