Rob's point about the Memo to Users is a very strong piece of advice. Both V6 and V7 versions.

Most of my clients have done exactly what your suggesting, cutting over in a weekend. That said, they have a solid application test plan in place and the development staff ready to take on any problems found, although honestly most of the issues are reasonably minor.

The one spot that can cripple an upgrade is in SQL. At V6 there were some changes made to SQL to enforce some rules in joins to ensure the result sets. There are workarounds if you get into that situation, call IBM support for advice.

Most customers take about 6 - 8 hours by the time you do the upgrade, apply PTFs and get the system about ready for testing. The larger the system (more disk arms) the faster. I have seen that finish is as few as 4 hours and on very small systems take longer. I would leave a solid 8 hours for testing and remediation. You most likely won't need it, but better safe than sorry. None of this time takes into account the save activity that needs to be done.

Remember to log all IBM supplied objects that have been changed, IE: Print files, subsystem descriptions, job descriptions, etc.... If they are overlaid by the upgrade you'll need to reset them.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects