I am hearing conflicting opinions about the necessity of a dual IPL. I
may try on another lpar as a confirmation. I know, I know, no ones does
as many upgrades as Pete M. I just want to try it on an lpar where I know
that the other MF* ptfs were not already permanently applied.

I too thought TR refreshes were simply just a different way of doing stuff
they did with special releases like V5R4M5 and 6.1.1, which were primarily
to support new hardware. However, IBM is putting a lot of new features
and functions in TR's now instead of coming out with new releases quite as
often. In times past we'd have had a replacement for 7.1 by now. I
wouldn't look for a replacement for 7.1 until 2014. There are links in
Developer Works which talk about what new features came out with each TR.
Even the Infocenter reports dates on their updates.

New features and functions are also coming out with Group, and individual,
ptf's. Developer Works is reporting some cool stuff coming with the DB2
group ptf due out in November. I am also looking forward to the rewrite
of Systems Director due out in December with the HTTP group ptf.