Ankush;

Turns out we are doing all you are except in a control language program that has a bit more error handling in it, along with the appropriate delays.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects

On 10/8/2012 9:14 AM, ankush agrawal wrote:
Hi Jim,

I would suggest you to modify your control group to end the applications
first and then issue ENDSBS SBS(*ALL) DELAY(30) *BCHTIMLMT(480)* before
processing of SAVSYS.

So your control group may look like:

Backup
Seq Items Exit command
10 *EXIT CALL SHUTDOWN
20 *EXIT ENDSBS SBS(*ALL) DELAY(30) BCHTIMLMT(480)
30 *EXIT DLYJOB DLY(300)
40 *EXIT SNDMSG MSG('XXXXXXX SPECIAL RESTRICTED BACKUP STARTED')
50 *SAVSYS
60 *IBM
and so on.

where SHUTDOWN is my shutdown program to end all applications.
BCHTIMLMT is the time limit for which the system should stay in restricted
state. In above case, after 480 minutes, system will come up from
restricted state and cancel the backup, if the backup doesn't get complete.

After the backup you may want to IPL the system or just start QCTL (
modify control group accordingly).

I am using this on my 6 V7R1 systems and it is working fine.

If I understood your problem wrongly, then please let me know.

Thanks,
Ankush Agrawal

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 8:33 AM, Jim Oberholtzer<midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx