Hi, Jim:

When was the last time this _was_ working correctly? (e.g. before the last set of Cumulative or Group PTFs was installed)

IPL on the "A" side and test again to determine whether the problem is still present or disappears... that should indicate if there may be some bad PTFs within the last set of Cumulative or Group PTFs installed ...

HTH,

Mark

> On 10/8/2012 8:29 AM, Jim Oberholtzer wrote:
I am wondering if anyone else is witnessing similar behavior. Scenario is:

3584 tape library: SCSI attached to Power 6.
Internal LTO5 single tape on Power 7.

BRMS console monitor started
Run backup with STRBKUBRM CTLGRP(OURSYSTEM) SBMJOB(*CTLSBS)

OURSYSTEM control group is identical to *SYSTEM except for the media
class and move policy attributes.

The system submits the BRMS job to the controlling subsystem, but the
message indicating the processing is started "BRMS console beginning
request processing" is not issued and the system does not come to a
restricted state, so the job just hangs at this point.

Most recent Cumulative and all groups as of 9/5/12, so really current on
PTFs.

It is now happening on multiple LPARS on two machines, a Power 6 and 7 box.

At this time support does not have much in the way of an answer.

If this is happening to others I would like to get that on record as well.