Lovely. I've seen this before as well. Problem is that the new units haven't been identified yet. Usually the Initialize and format will wake them up but you're getting an error. Try the other and see if it's the same because maybe the disk really is bad or possibly is OK but didn't properly connect.

Seems like another thing I've done is to leave the slots empty for a few hours and then insert the new drives. Something must trigger the system to know the 70s are gone so that when it sees new drives it checks them out and doesn't just assume they are the 70s coming back.

- Larry