From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Booth Martin
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2012 6:22 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Event-based actions

The dataque with trigger is pretty straight forward and provides the event
and needed information. Thats the first half of the problem.

Now, I need the other half, the listening part. Lets say Sally has an
inventory item on her screen and is talking with a customer and the screen
shows:

On Hand - 12
Inbound - 12
Allocated - 22
Available - 2

In the call center there are 28 other folks taking orders and some one of
those people sells 4 pieces, leaving as Available a minus 2.

At this point, I would like Sally's screen to refresh and reflect that there
are none left to sell. All without Sally doing anything and without a timer
constantly refreshing her screen every nn seconds.

This is fairly common in the new world, but it isn't clear to me how we do
this on our platform.

Here is a simplistic example:

http://www.martinvt.com/Code_Samples/Kiosk_Clock/kiosk_clock.html

This clock refreshes every n.nn minutes, based on a timer. I would rather
that when another program sent a change in the time, a "listener"
would hear the message and poke the clock program with the new time to be
displayed.

An Executive Dashboard is another example of the problem. How does one
refresh that screen by other than a cycle started with a timer?