Well said Booth! I could not agree more. As a system admin, give me a green screen every time, but as a user, a well designed GUI interface can be significantly more efficient if the designer is keeping in mind the time it takes to move your hand from the keyboard to the mouse and back. The designer has the power to create screens that do not require a mouse for hard data entry (such as your time sheets, etc) but offer contextual help and error processing when something is amiss.

I liken the change in block mode (5250/3270) screen design to character/event mode (usually GUI today) screen design to the same process as moving from procedural programming to object oriented design and construction. It's an unusually difficult thing for some of us older guys to get our heads around, but once you can make the transition the process can be more efficient and more fun since most of the limitations you worked under with procedural/block mode have been removed. Sure you have nearly no control over the user, but that's part of the process.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects