So here is the solution in case somebody runs into this (but this is a such a corner case I doubt it'll come up).

There WAS a warning in the QTCPWRK job that I chose to ponder and then ignore because I *thought* I knew what the cause was. The warning was:

WARNING: Host 420000247EDB also using IP 192.168.200.210.

Now a couple of things led me down the wrong path here. First, the MAC address is clearly one from IBM i. And I assumed (wrongly) that the MAC address must have been local to the new 720 since it seemed like TCP/IP wasn't getting off the box. As it turned out the MAC address was from an adapter on the old 520 and it was a virtual adapter that wasn't even on my radar because it was part of an old Linux partition that I had long since deleted (yet, the line was varied on and active so......)

Interesting note: The interface associated with the adapter was 192.168.200.220 (which is why the warning on the 720 didn't register). However, it was subnetted to 255.255.255.240 (I think) and I think that was the issue (although it has been 15 years since I sat in TCP/IP class...). In any case, I was told to run this in STRSQL:

select internet, lind, cnntype from qusrsys/qatocifc

And the virtual adapter was listed as a type 'p' and was apparently the culprit.

Once we varied off the adapter (which I subsequently deleted), stopped and restarted the interface and then cleared the arp cache on my PC, BANG ZOOM! I connected immediately.....

Self inflicted wounds are always the most painful.....

Pete Helgren
Value Added Software, Inc
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java