I understand all of that. That was why I suggested the editor, with column numbers, and with an F-key to print the output so you can see the results as you are working on it without having to wait and see how it looks from a production run.

It may be simplistic or even a primitive solution but it is easy to implement, understandable, and in the end probably a faster develop cycle. In my opinion.