The only disconnect from a mortgage is: Your mortgage is paid regularly in a tight time frame and you can opt to have it withdrawn from your bank/credit card so you *don't* have to remember. SWMA may come yearly, every three years or in between and if you have purchased software in between you might have multiple SWMA renewal windows.

Can I opt for an automatic withdrawal from a bank account or credit card? Nope - There is paperwork that needs to be signed. Can I opt for a snail mail renewal? Nope! Only email. Can I pay monthly? Nope!

The deck is stacked against the small guy who runs his/her own business and is fighting daily survival battles. IBM assumes that you have notifications built for yourself to remember things every three years (or whatever....it isn't monthly like a mortgage). After missing my SWMA renewal windows a couple of times, I put in calendar items a month before renewal FAR into the future so I hopefully will be notified. That is, it will happen if my email/calendar client doesn't get hammered or I change software.....

I LOVE IBM! I love SWMA! But they could apply some "Smarter Planet" consulting to themselves when it comes to a process that benefits the consumer.

Pete Helgren
Value Added Software, Inc
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java