That link is a bit high-level. Was the specific link alluded?:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ibmi/library/i-techupdateswiki/index.html
"...
_i Hardware and Firmware i_
_Technology Refreshes_

IBM i 7.1 includes an enhancement to make it easier to deliver hardware and firmware enhancements, using the Technology Refresh PTF Group. The new hardware-related and firmware-related machine code content is contained within PTFs in a single Technology Refresh PTF Group. The content is referred to as IBM i 7.1 Technology Refresh 1, IBM i 7.1 Technology Refresh 2, etc.

If you already have IBM i 7.1 on your partition, you can install the Technology Refresh PTF Group (SF99707). Alternatively, you can install the resave, following the normal resave install procedure, and then install the Technology Refresh PTF Group.
"

That last paragraph seems to imply the basest feature of the TR is to deliver a "point release" or "resave" via PTFs; even implying that the point-release\resave is still available, just as more traditionally.? So TR1 is really just IBM i 7.1.1 but with the capability of being delivered either as a resave or via PTFs?

I did have to laugh when reading "Product announcement materials, PTF cover letters, blog entries, forums and articles all have their place and proper use to raise awareness and understanding of product changes and enhancements. While the previously mentioned methods of communication are valuable, they fail to provide a single point of reference." So the normal single-point-of-reference one might presume to be the IBM i InfoCenter, is not; i.e. now instead, the "single" point becomes *both* the InfoCenter and a wiki at an entirely different location ;-)

Regards, Chuck