wrote on Tue, 22 May 2012 03:50:15 GMT:

Second, if I only need roughly 280GB how do I compute?
280/70=4 drives. However I get suggested to have a minimum of
6. Is the difference between 4 and 6 as bad as the difference
between a 3 and a 4 or more drive raid set on real disks?

LPARs with small GB requirements are tough.

Option 1: LS=70G, 210/5=42 for the remaining disks. Risk of
"hammering" LS due to its larger size.

Option 2: 280/6=46.6GB. May require a load source migration to a
larger sized LS in the future.

Personally, I would go with option 2.

Save/restore is what suffers the most when the number of vSCSI
drives drops below 6 based on testing I performed in the past.
Specifically, 6 vSCSI drives caused my save to tape to take 1/2
as long as when I had fewer than 6 vSCSI drives. These tests
used the exact same quantity of real HDDs to back the vSCSI
drives.

Sue

This thread ...