I've done quite a number of these over the years with pretty good
results. The documentation can be found in the Infocenter under the
heading "Restoring previous release user data to a new system".

If you don't need to move any hardware you have a pretty good rollback
point - simply go back to the old machine. In this scenario there's
not a lot of reason not to do the procedure twice and it's a process
well worth rehearsing before you do it for real. You can do it the
first time and get the compatibility or whatever else needs to be done
tested before doing the live migration.

If you are moving hardware as well, then be aware you are burning your
bridges somewhat so you need to absolutely get the preparation right
(actually this is true regardless of the method you select). Be sure
you completely cover off the ANZOBJCVN process beforehand and any
application dependencies for the new release. Make sure you have read
the memo to users for all the releases between and including the
release you are going to. You will need to locate and install PTFs
required for upgrade preparation, and any application PTFs you will
need on the new release.

The reason for this kind of migration is generally time and outages
(and the expense of multiple migrations). Make sure your boss is aware
that it is far more expensive and time consuming to do it unprepared
and find out you missed something major. Rolling back is not trivial
(full reload if you only have one machine).

If you are doing it yourself you might be better to do it in two
stages as suggested elsewhere to keep each part more straightforward.

If downtime is an issue perhaps you might consider engaging a Business
Partner to do it for you. You'll almost certainly get better results
by working with someone familiar with the process.

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 4:27 AM, Billy Waters