From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 4:27 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: User profile limit to 10 characters. We need more...

A few comments...

One, by significance it was asked if you are doing something like the
following. Rob Berendt works in the US for department 1600. So his user
profile is US1600RB01. If so, see about changing your ways. Use other
fields to contain this information. No law about perhaps putting this info
in part of the text description field. The job accounting code is where we
stick department hyphen employee number. We sync this up with Lotus Notes
and it works well for us.

Two, syncing passwords. We use a product called IBM Tivoli Identity Manager
to sync passwords across Lotus Notes, the i, Active Directory and more.
Works well for us. You can even roll out the ability for users to reset
their own passwords. Just like banks and other high security operations
allow. With that I change my password in Windows and it's immediately
propagated to all 10 of my lpars. I haven't enhanced it yet to CHGSVRAUTE
or my sst password. Hate to throw that in the mix for the few concerned
with that.

We were using EIM for awhile but that one sort of fell by the wayside. Not
sure how well that's supported by NetServer.