I did not explicitly recall the SPLFNAME being there. That is why I was so non-committal on my opening remarks, per "if... not available". But I had forgotten entirely that the SPOOL_FILE and SPOOL_LIB in the INFDS Open Feedback data were identifying the implementation object for spool data storage, i.e. identify the spool-database-file[.member] which stores the spooled data for the opened printer file. Thus the spool_lib value presumably should always be a QSPL#### library.

FWiW, I looked up a more generic documentation for the "Open feedback area for printer" file ODP:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/rzalu/rzalureffeedb.htm
"... Parent topic: Printer file feedback areas"

Generally the control program sets the desired SPLFNAME [e.g. using OVRPRTF] and then does what needs to be done [e.g. selection by name] based on that spool file name, after the control is returned. However in the described scenario, the report program or more specifically the "automagic page heading routine" is what needs to know an attribute that generally would have been set by a control program. The control program could either pass the data to the reporting program [e.g. in a parameter, in addition to still setting that value in the override] or extract the "report-id" value [as obtained from the SPLFNAME data] after the spool file has been created [per opening the printer file]. For a scenario whereby the called routine must infer\extract from the spool file name versus a passed parameter, and for lack of that data being found [easily] in any Data Management Feedback Area, using the QSPRILSP API is much more succinct and simple than would be using either the Open List of Spooled Files (QGYOLSPL) API or the List Spooled Files (QUSLSPL) API; and probably more so than any other methods [esp. something silly like copying\reading output from a "wrkjob output(*print) option(*splf)"] that could be employed to find the name.

Regards, Chuck