I will go that route when I have time.

But come on, I cannot believe such a basic thing has been missing since the beginning?
Or was it removed as part of an 'enhancement'?
No wonder my 25 Microsoft servers are better than 1 POWER box guy wants to ignore this little orphan in the server room.

Let's all start a month long, mile long thread about what Microsoft lacks in their server software.
(sarcasm, no extra charge)
How dare I cut on a product line that has feed me and my family for the last 30+ years?
System 3 model 15d. More memory Scotty!
(more sarcasm, getting sick)

message: 5
date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:10:50 -0400
from: rob@xxxxxxxxx
subject: Re: How do you vary a device on with iseries navigator? (yes)

My point was you're not going to find display devices underneath tape
devices. I took a look. Apparently they have "Workstation Resources",
however, they don't have the capability to vary them off/on (aka make
unavailable/available) like they do for tape devices.

And Systems Director Navigator for i has even less function in this area.

Submit a DCR. Really.
https://www-912.ibm.com/r_dir/ReqDesChange.nsf/Request_for_Design_Change?OpenForm
and you can try a Common Requirement and see which runs the gauntlet
successfully.
http://community.common.org/HOME/IBMIREQ.wgs