Hi Vern, Sorry that I didn't know about the colors. I am forwarding you my reply to Chuck. Hi Chuck,
Thanks for your below message.

Please read my answers in red to your questions below:

To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: CRPbottle@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Question Re OPNQRYF
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 11:49:03 -0700

On 24-Mar-2012 01:44 , Raja Ayyer wrote:
<<SNIP>> a question re OPNQRYF: One of my CL program creates 2
temporary files in QTEMP:

one containing a before image of data (FILE_1) from a physical file
and the

other containing after image (FILE_2) from the same physical file.

So both FILE_1 and FILE_2 have the same Record Format?Yes, both files have the same record format. Basically, they result from a CPYF of a physical file, one that is done before updating data in the physical file and another after data has been updated in the physical file.The FILE 3 that is a resultant is like an audit file for purpose of verifiying the updates. The OPNQRYF maps all required fields from FILE 1 and then attempting to map the UPDATED field from FILE 2. Because the format is the same i.e all the fields are derived from the same Physical File (into FILE 1 and FILE 2), OPNQRYF is giving an error when mapping this field from FILE 1 as well as from FILE 2 as 2 different fields into FILE 3.

After creation of these temporary files in QTEMP,

Are these files created using DDS sources, or CRTDUPOBJ from existing
database *FILE objects? What is the status of the source or objects
[from which the files in QTEMP are derived] as far as restrictions on
/promotion/ with this scenario?
The FILE 3 is created (as a *OUTFILE) using the OPNID of the OPNQRYF from the same CL Program that issues the OPNQRYF command
the program then does an OPNQRYF joining these two temporary files to
extract data into a third file (FILE_3).

So did the program create FILE_3 also? Same questions as above, for how.

Perhaps to clarify, that join described using SQL?

So CPYFRMQRYF TOFILE(FILE_3) from the join query ODP.? And either
OPNQRYF FORMAT(FILE_3) was used, or FORMAT(*FILE) causes the query to
use the RcdFmt of FILE_1, per FILE_1 being the first file in the join?
Is the record format of FILE_3 different than the FILE_1 and\or FILE_2,
and if so, how? >>The FILE 3 is created (as a *OUTFILE) using the OPNID of the OPNQRYF (CPYFRMQRYF) from the same CL Program that issues the OPNQRYF commandThe record format will be different in FILE 3 (with the added field from FILE 2 i.e the field ECESDATE containing updated data). However, FILE 3 is yet to get created

I have a requirement whereby the third file (as a result of the
OPNQRY) contains most of the information from FILE_1 and one field
(ECESDATE) from FILE_2.

What about the scenario and\or the join makes that a requirement?
Perhaps because the field ECESDATE is a\the join field? Or perhaps as
an effect /compare/ of before\after effects, the desire is to show a
copy of both the before and after values for column ECESDATE in the
final output [file]? >>FILE 1 contains ECESDATE with un-updated data and the same field in FILE 2 contains updated data. I would like to have ECESDATE from FILE 1 and FILE 2 in the resultant file FILE 3. In trying to create FILE 3 from FILE 1 & FILE 2, my OPNQRYF joins key fields from FILE 1 & FILE 2 and then MAPS required fields from FILE 1, just like how you have illustrated below (MAPFLD(A '1/A'...then ECESDATE1 '1/ECESDATE' and ECESDATE2 '2/ECESDATE') Tomorrow, I shall send the entire OPNQRYF script used in the program.
Regards,Raja
Colors do not appear in this list - I think I know what you replied, but
I am not sure.

Regards
Vern