The *EXT "External message queue of the job" is specified on the TOPGMQ(). That implies the OS does not consider the *EXT message queue to be a non-program message queue [externally visible as a named *MSGQ object] like those which are specified on the TOMSGQ() parameter. The CPD2409 concurs, stating that "INQUIRY messages cannot be sent to _program message queues_ other than (*EXT)."

The External message queue for a job is in my experience, the most typical place for inquiry messages to be sent; at least in applications not implementing a "chat" feature.

Regards, Chuck