On 19-Dec-2011 17:03 , Sam_L wrote:
Is there a system table that I can use to find the member names in a
file, or even a count of the members in the file?

(I accidentally came across a log file that had 2,000+ members going
back several years and I hoped for a quick way to identify other
potential cleanup targets. I know I can display file info to an
outfile and get at it that way--just wondering if it was already done
for me.)

For just a member count, I would use DSPFD for the specific file types for the [most] basic information that includes number of members, or use the QDBRTVFD "Retrieve File Description" API to minimize the amount of work and data retrieved. However, there is also:

_i5/OS catalog tables and views_
The i5/OS™ catalog includes the following views and tables in the QSYS2 schema:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/db2/rbafzmstcatalogtbls.htm#catsyststat
"
SYSTABLESTAT

The SYSTABLESTAT view contains one row for every table that has at least one partition or member...
"

The short name for that file is SYSTSTAT. I believe the standard members are found where PARTITION_TYPE /* for PARTTYPE= '' */ is blank; i.e. The table is not partitioned. The NUMBER_PARTITIONS for NBRPARTS gives the number of members.

In that same page of documentation is the SYSPARTITIONSTAT [SYSPSTAT] catalog VIEW which gives specifics about each member. These are implemented with an external UDTF, presumably implemented using the QDBRTVFD and QUSLMBR and\or QUSRMBRD [or equivalent OS requests] to get the information from the database *FILE and database file members.

Some more discussion... The thread or these specific messages from the thread with Subject: "Which of the SYSIBM tables/views show the row count for all PF in the machine?"

Regards, Chuck