OK Clearly spinny and SSD disks are different in many ways but there are some parallels. A spinny disk experiences soft errors - that is errors that can either be corrected or retried and completed successfully. An SSD can experience cell wear out and remapped. A Spinny disk can have sectors flagged bad and remapped. In each of these cases the drive wouldn't be flagged as failed or even failing in a single event. Given enough of these however and both drives would get flagged. This information certainly gets to the underlying code. Given enough they begin to show up in service tools and the message "Impending DASD failure" can be issued. Eventually even though the drive may not yet have failed it gets 'voted off the island' and marked FAILED and IBM service comes in and replaces it. This, of course, is where RAID 5, hot spare, RAID 6, MIRROR, (or a combination) save your data.

Remember too that SSD is a stepping stone for the next way to use solid state storage. It's convenient to package it as 'disk units' because we know how to interface to those and in this packaging it's easy to mount it, maintain it, and expand it. In the future it is likely to be connected much more directly to the system giving far more bandwidth and performance and of course better assessment of and direct knowledge of errors and other issues.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis