He had a drive fail. We have no idea if it was a memory cell that failed,
a full memory chip, the controller chip, the SAS interface chip, the buffer
memory chip, or some other piece. Also, there are typically 4-10 memory
chips on an SSD; if 1 chip failed v. just a cell then it would probably
take out enough space that the drive couldn't compensate.

As to having the extra cells, they are actually used for performance with
added reliability being a side benefit. Writing a normal cell is a read
cell/update buffer/erase cell/write cell operation, but cells in the spare
area are already erased so only a write is needed to store the data (the
cell being updated is mapped to the new cell & the old cell is put on the
list of cells to garbage collect). So the extra cells aren't a reserved
area so much as cells that wind up scattered all over the memory chips over
time. Depending on the drive's firmware & OS, the garbage collection of
used cells - where they're erased & prepped for future writing - occurs
when the drive is idle or the OS issues a TRIM command.

BTW, traditional platter drives have spare tracks where data on sectors
that are going bad can be remapped:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#Known_ATA_S.M.A.R.T._attributes(see
ID5 in the table).