"Of more concern is the fact that you cannot change the system portion of a job's library list on the fly..."
"You also can't put another library above anything in the system portion of a job's library list."

Both of these statements are incorrect. You can change the system portion of the library list on the fly with the CHGSYSLIBL command. The only caveats are that you can only add libraries to the top of the list, so you have no control over placement, and you cannot remove QSYS. Be aware though that the command is shipped with *PUBLIC *EXCLUDE authority.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ron Zimmerman
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 08:31
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: System library list

IMHO putting any user library in the system library list is a very bad idea.

The user library list is not really that limited any more (up to 250 entries), so that should not be a concern. The system library list is only allowed 15 entries.

Of more concern is the fact that you cannot change the system portion of a job's library list on the fly, so if you have a need to remove a library for whatever reason you can't do it if in is in the system library list.

You also can't put another library above anything in the system portion of a job's library list. This can be important if you have a multiple versions of an object in different libraries. An example of this is our third party software where we have done some customizing of programs. We put those customized programs in a "custom" library that has to be placed above the vendor's program library so that the customized program is the one that is run when a user selects it. (That's also assuming you don't have the library name hard-coded in the program calls.)

--
Thank you,
Ron Zimmerman