Yes, and our users do. Some users know that BPCS is just an ERP System
that runs on the AS/400. Not one of our users knows that its an iSeries
(or System i? This is the only version I've used thus far) (I think?
V5R4... anyone confirm?) Anywho, the point is that if the interface never
changes to the user then the user will never associate it with anything
else, by any name, etc. The reason why we don't think of the ibm pc from
1987 when we say PC today is because (partly due to Apple branding, PC is
now synonymous with Windows - Are you a Mac or a PC?).

PC's get fancy new Windows interfaces every couple of years, whether we
like it or not (Thanks for nothing Vista). So, if your users use
BPCS/SAP/Oracle/Erp of the day for 10, 15, 20 years straight, why would
they call it by any other name? Just because the IT guy called it that
other name.. what was it... (iSeries? System i? IBM i?) in that meeting
a couple months ago? I've tried that... the users look at your cross
eyed. And when you say to them that its actually not an AS/400, that is
really an IBM i now, they roll their eyes.... because to them... nothing
has changed.... even when you are presenting a new web application.
(Everything can host a web site these days... users could care less).

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

Trevor Perry <trevor@xxxxxxxxxx>
09/29/2011 01:40 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Classes for IBMi/iSeries?

Shouldn't they be calling it BPCS? You don't call Windows or Word by the
name of the hardwareŠ

On 9/29/11 1:22 PM, "paul therrien" <paultherrien@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>