Too bad either of both of these can't also be setup to allow for distance education. Being there would be a better experience by far but for those of us who have no travel budget we could still stay current.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:15 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: IBM i DevCon

Paul, I answered your question in detail in private email, but generally speaking I consider the two conferences to have different audiences.
System i Developer is a wonderfully focused technical seminar with stellar speakers and a very specific syllabus: RPG, SQL and PHP. If that's your focus, then they have an excellent lineup. Obviously Jon and Susan are the very best at teaching RPG and they've got a couple other folks helping out that you might have heard about (does the name Barbara Morris ring a bell? <grin>). Their DB2 coverage is just as strong with folks like Kent Milligan and Mike Cain (Skip's no slouch, either).

DevCon, on the other hand, while still a very focused technical conference, has a wider range of what they consider technical. They cover all the above topics but certainly not to the same depth as SiD.
Instead, DevCon includes subjects like upgrading to 7.1, the HMC, and Java (once again a crucial language, especially since it's the base language for Android development). And of course, I'll be enlightening you about EGL and a few other topics. Finally, DevCon really believes in hands-on training, so even though the cost for doing it has skyrocketed, they'll have hands-on labs - including one on building Android applications.

So it really depends on what your needs are.

Joe

Joe--

Aside from the fact that I'd miss your enlightening presentation, is
there any benefit of the iDevCon in November vs the System/i
conference in October?

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx