On Jun 29, 2011, at 10:32 PM, midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

What kind of printer & how defined - there could be what seem like
unprintable that a printer, or host print transform will print a ? like
character.
Is there a font replacement msg in the job log?

Not that I've seen but I will check. It seems unlikely though since the problem occurs _before_ a physical print is taken. In other words you can see it in a pdf generated from the spoolfile.

Is this all same printer? Is this *afpds or *scs?

Exact same printer file. Two different queues (actually two different systems - one V5R4 and the V6.1.) File is *SCS

If you take same spool, on save, & release under different users, do you get
same result?

I'm trying to get them to send me a saved spoolfile so I can check this. And also so I can look at the spoolfile content to try and determine at what point the ?s get injected.

In spool file attr, and the user job, graphic char set defaults to *devd.

Yes

Is the submitted job (which prints ok) exactly same data?

Yes

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com