Mark,

It does not matter if the disk units are virtualized by VIOS or IBM i. The point is; IBM i manages disk in a specific way, and if you let it, it will be very efficient. IBM i does have its limits and one of them is it likes lots of disk arms to manage.

The fact that VIOS and IBM i can both virtualize the environment does not alter the concept that the guest IBM i does not know it's running in virtual environment. That's the whole point behind virtualization, mask the hardware implementation from the guest partition. Let IBM i be good at what it's good at, one of which is managing disk storage better than any other OS. That comes a price, that being you have to provide it sufficient disk arms to manage.

(sorry if this is starting to sound a bit harsh, it's not meant to....)

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects