On 01-Jun-2011 19:02 , Sam_L wrote:
Our printing is decentralized. I'm trying to figure out what reports
our overnight batch jobs create and which ones actually print, with
an eye to eliminating unnecessary paper usage.

Most of the time, if I have the USRDTA value I can tie it back to a
program.

If I attach a Data Q to the OUTQ I can get a type 01 record when a
spool file in ready status hits the OUTQ. From that I'm happy to
assume it printed (it's close enough for what I'm doing.) But type 01
records don't contain the USRDTA.

If I set an environment variable at the system level it looks like I
can get type 03 records (V6R1) which do contain the USRDTA, but this
is for everything that hits *every* OUTQ and *every* status.

So it looks like I need to merge the results from type 01 records
with type 03 to get what I want.

Has anyone done anything like this? Any better suggestions?

If I could, I'd like to get the number of pages, but I don't anything
about that in the data queue entries.

While the amount of data may still be large, the data automatically written to the QACJRN *JRN when the QACGLVL system value is set to *JOB and\or *PRINT might be valuable. Perhaps "better", since instead of a program to process those additional data queue entries, a DSPJRN can be performed to produce results [specific to those batch jobs] directed to an output file, then a report produced against just the specific information generated or selecting and reporting about only the information of interest. Some doc references that might help to decide if this approach is reasonable and will provide the desirable information; to be sure the number of pages, lines, and bytes are available with accounting level.

Journaling accounting information; QACGLVL:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzakz/rzakzqacglvl.htm
Job\print accounting overview:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzaks/rzaksjageneralinfo.htm
Is job accounting enough:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzaks/rzaksjawhenusejobactng.htm
Accounting spooled printing generates A-SP entries or non-spooled with A-DP:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzaks/rzaksjaprinterfileactng.htm
File QSYS/QAPTACG5 contains record format QSPJAPT5 and is used for DP or SP entries:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzaks/rzaksjobacctconvert.htm
SP layout:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzaks/rzaksjaSPactngjrnalinfo.htm
Resource account; A-JB CHGACGCDE; accounting segments:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzaks/rzaksjaresourceactngdta.htm

Regards, Chuck