Charles wrote:

1) Quit using CLRPFM - it's designed only to be used when you can
guarantee exclusive access to a file. That's hard to do now-a-days
and if you're allowing the file to be queried at any time you simply
can't make the guarantee CLRPFM requires. I created a CLRPFMSQL
command that uses SQL DELETE to delete all records in a file. At
v5r2(?) and higher the SQL DELETE usually performs just as fast as
CLRPFM as it will do a clear if possible, or a change file, or as a
last resort individually delete the rows.

We have taken a similar approach with a local CPYFSQL
command that uses SQL DELETE to avoid exclusive
access issues - and our investment has been
rewarded with the near 24/7 we have "now-a-days"

Note: SQL will not copy invalid data, where CPYF
typically would, so some legacy file systems,
such as ours, could have issues if this approach
is used.