I don't know about "built in", but they do have totally integrated products.

PowerHA is the replication tool that pushes data at a storage level (as opposed to application layer like the Vision products do) between systems. The same software can do clustering. Each of those software pieces are extra charge options for IBM i, but they are also very inexpensive as compared to similar products. They are massively cheaper than full blown SAN replication software from IBM or EMC.

Roll your own, I'm guessing that's not gonna happen in any meaningful way since you cannot write code that exists in the LIC the way IBM can, so it would have to be at the application layer. Vision has that all wrapped up.

Jim Oberholtzer
CEO/Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects, LLC