Yep, welcome to the Internet. See, you don't normally see these types of
drops when using your standard internet connection at home. This is
because you are conditioned to not notice it, and the software... browser,
OS, etc are designed so that you only get interrupted if the connection is
actually down, and not just missing some packets. But HA systems and
other backend server systems are much more rigid in their connection
sensitivity. We get 2 or 3 dropped connections per night running HA over
cable. Doesn't happen too much during the day. My guess is that our
issues are due to networking equipment being cycled by the telcos and
since the systems log everything we get the disconnect messages.

Now, your issue is probably a combination. Its probably just a couple
setup tweaks you need to make so that your connections handle the
volitility of the WWW better.

Thanks
Bryce Martin
Programmer/Analyst I
570-546-4777

Richard Schoen <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
03/20/2011 08:46 PM
Please respond to

"midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Printer Weirdness

That's the fun of using Cable Lines.

We have had issues with Cable connections dropping because you really
don't have an end-to-end guaranteed connection.

It's an "I'm supposed to be online all the way thru, but oops I get
dropped once in a while" when Cable lines or any public Internet
connections are used in general.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
Where Information Meets Innovation
Document Management, Workflow, Report Delivery, Forms and Business
Intelligence
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 736-5800
Fax: (952) 736-5801
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT
------------------------------

message: 3
date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 13:49:17 -0700
from: Kirk Goins <kirkgoins@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Printer Weirdness

A SWAG would be Comcast is timing out the connection and the eTwinax boxes
are sensing this reconnecting. If I remember correctly they are using a
form of telnet.

What value do you have for Session keep alive timeout in CHGTELNA. If it
is
300 or more set it say 120 or 180.

Another place to check is CHGTCPA's TCP keep alive value. Now this one is
in minutes verse seconds on CHGTELNA. So a value of 5 or higher may be
causing this. I would set it to 2 or 3 ( minutes )

Like I said it is a SWAG. You could open a PMR with IBM and have then
trace
the traffic between the system and 1 of the eTwinax boxes. They should be
able to see any resets, disconnects etc.