Paul,

Do not rely upon "security by obscurity". Creating QCMDEXC as a function
is not a security breach. If you do not have access to DLTUSRPRF you
still cannot run it by using the User Defined Function (UDF) QCMDEXC. The
only thing that the function does is allow you to run it easier. We
created is as a function for the myriad of CL programs we had written that
basically did
DSP... OUTPUT(*OUTFILE) ...
DCLF ...
READ:
RCVF
MONMSG MSGID(CPF0864) EXEC(GOTO CMDLBL(EOF))
/* Do something */
GOTO CMDLBL(READ)
EOF:
EXIT:
ENDPGM

Is the ability to write a CL program a security breach? Should that be
something that antivirus programs should stop? By default anyone can
write a CL program. You do not need the application tools on your system.
All systems have EDTF and CRTCLPGM. If you find the SQL UDF a security
breach because it can be used to run DLTUSRPRF then I suggest you stop
giving all your users *SECADM and *ALLOBJ. That's a step in the right
direction.

Is having the UDF a breach because it doesn't slow down the developer and
make him think? Then, by all means, let's put other impediments in his
path. Let's ban CL and force them to use MI. After all, did you see
anything in the CL sample above that did any comparison? What was to stop
this CL program from forgetting the "where" and deleting all user
profiles?