Hi Susanne

It was a pleasure seeing you in Rochester. I hope all is keeping on being well with you. I hope I can answer your question adequately. If not, come on back with more questions.

There are applications that manage a lot of the development process. They include Aldon, SoftLanding's TurnOver, MKS' Implementer, and Arcad. There is also IBM's Rational Team Concert, which intrigues me greatly.

I do not recommend SoftLanding anymore at all - they were bought by Unicom, I think. We had an arrangement with them from before the acquisition, and they refused to honor it afterwards. There is a general feeling that it is a cash cow now, that things are not being done much to improve it. Many employees left, some are with ArCad, some with other vendors.

MKS has a good product, I believe - David Gibbs, who runs the MIDRANGE-L mailing list, is one of the main developers. He does good work. I've not seen it in action, however.

I do like what I've heard about ArCad. Again, I've not seen it working. Their developers have been quite responsive to bugs reported in a free item they have, so that says something.

I'm quite interested in Rational Team Concert - it is a product that, according to IBM, can manage change in iSeries development and Java and VB, etc., development. I don't think any of the others have truly managed this. I've played with it some, it seems impressive. It is built on the Jazz platform, an open-source thing like Eclipse is for development environments. The Jazz platform is also the base for a requirements gathering app, as well as a quality management app, all from IBM Rational. The combination gives a company a total package that works pretty seamlessly all long the way. As a business partner with IBM, we are able to get these products for no cost when we subscribe to the Software Access Catalog, so that makes them attractive. I just need to convince my boss, and that is an interesting exercise. As you can imagine, anything in this area must be driven top-down, or it is doomed to failure.

There are some other products that I don't know of - mostly coming out of Europe, I believe.

I think I would recommend looking at Arcad (http://www.arcadsoftware.com/), MKS (http://www.mks.com/solutions/discipline/ibmi), and IBM's Rational Team Concert (http://www-01.ibm.com/software/rational/products/rtc/).

Regards
Vern