Well I asked them (IBM) if there was a PTF to omit, a defective PTF or what was the deal. They could not point to a specific PTF as being 'the issue' but said that this 'fixing PTF' provides some 'under the covers stuff' that prevents the IPL hang at the PTF apply step.

I suspect that a note in the cover-letter for some of the groups, "real soon now." :-)

IBM's recommendation on when to apply this guy was "Before you start PTF menu option 8." Since it is an immediate apply PTF (and isn't very large either) this should be pretty easy to honor. In my case the partition that hung is used ONLY for PTF testing and install media creation so I applied it as soon as I shut down the partition and re-IPLed. After that the PTF's completed their apply on the next IPL.

- Larry