From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2011 11:42 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Openness Includes

hi Jerry,

My jaw dropped, though, when I saw that the Openness Includes was 178.9
mb.
I gotta admit that I'm not good enough to write API interfaces
(prototypes)
from scratch, even with the API references in the Info Center.

FWIW... System Openness Includes does NOT provide RPG prototypes for
most APIs. It only provides data structures, and they are usually nearly
unreadable because they are so bad.

I find API programming in RPG using system openness includes to actually
be harder than doing it without them. The resultant code is CERTAINLY
harder to maintain. IBM does a VERY poor job with QSYSINC with regard
to RPG. (My opinion.) There are one or two exceptions to that, though.
The JNI copybook is pretty good, for example.

The C stuff in QSYSINC is very valuable, though... but I didn't think
you were a C programmer.

I searched to see if I could find a PDF or Text version of the
QSYSINC library, but came up empty.

If you like, I have a lot of (my own, not QSYSINC) API stuff here:
http://www.scottklement.com/rpg/copybooks

My option right now is to go to my previous employer (no problem) and
"print" these to a PDF to store on my PC. This would probably only take
1-2
weeks! Any other ideas (beyond the obvious, like adding more disk)?

If you're looking for a particular API or three, I might be able to find
examples for you. (I have access to many more than just what's on the
above page.)