Maybe not you, but I've heard an awful lot on this list lately about how
expensive it is to get a vendor upgrade after having dropped maintenance.
As if they expected a big financial break versus those of us who have
diligently been paying maintenance.
Ok, so that part doesn't apply to you.

Can you set up a test/development lpar so that you can verify these
updates during normal working hours instead of just on a Sunday?

Yes, I am seeing a lot of vendors who do not keep up on OS releases. Sorry
that you've hit another one. One person in my lug told me that his vendor
was some of those people who regularly speak at major conferences and well
over a year after 6.1 became GA he still still couldn't get code to run on
6.1. No dig at you Scott - you're not a software vendor. From them I
expect nothing less than code ready at GA.

Surely your boss has some sort of preventive maintenance program in place
for his production equipment? Keeping current with the OS and related
stuff falls into that realm.

We all fight the other fires. I feel your pain.

And I do appreciate the work you do for publications and more.