Glenn,

I think your Business Partner is giving you good advice.
I have seen a presentation including a slide from IBM Legal/Business Practices indicating that for a 2-step upgrade you do need to put the 1st upgrade into productive use for a couple of months.

With respect to "repurchase the OS", for entry-level servers there is a new announcement:
"IBM i enhancements offer new cryptographic features and web enablement functions"
IBM United States Software Announcement 211-021 February 8, 2011
which includes:
"IBM i license transfer -- Clients can now pay IBM for the right, in certain situations, to transfer the IBM i operating system from one system serial number to a different system serial number within the same enterprise for POWER5, POWER6, and POWER7 models with IBM i operating system per user pricing."

I haven't seen the pricing for this - check with your Business Partner.

Good luck! - Dan R.