On 2/2/2011 2:35 PM, Sue Romano wrote:

Calm down everyone! Just because a keyword appears in the SQL reserved
word list does NOT mean it cannot be used as a column name, function name,
table name, etc. It just indicates that there is somewhere is the SQL
grammar that it needed to appear as a keyword. In this case, ID is used in
an obscure place in the new XMLVALIDATE function. I do not see any way
that it will interfere with a column named ID. (If anyone finds a problem
with ID, report it as a problem and I should be able to fix it).

When RID was added, it was used as a function name which could appear in
the same place in the syntax as a column named RID, so that was a problem.
When we implement standard-defined syntax, we don't get any say in what
keywords get used. I always cringe when I see a reserved word that looks
like it could be used as a name. I can only try my best to limit the scope
of where it needs to be reserved.

Hope this settles everyone down a bit on this issue!

Thanks for this. I have a boatload of tables with an 'ID' row, and I
can't imagine the amount of work I'd need to undertake to enclose all
those references with double quotes. It's good to hear I won't have to.

I'd like to add a voice to those requesting a mention in the Memo To Users.
--buck