From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pete Massiello
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2011 4:39 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: Skipping lots of releases - Was: Looking at Power 7

Larry Bolhuis and I do these all the time, and for those not familiar with this process it looks funny/weird, but it works.

I upgraded yesterday a model 170 running V5R3 to a Power6 box, and just like your issue the 170 couldn’t go to V5R4 and the Power6 machine couldn’t go to V5R3. I loaded just the LIC at 6.1.1 and IBM i at 6.1, and then took the 5.3 GO SAVE 21, and restored the User profiles, Restored the configuration objects, Restored the *NONSYS, then restored the DLO, restored the IFS, and then ran a RSTAUT. Now, I had a machine with 6.1 OS, but all the LPPs were at 5.3. If I did a GO LICPGM, I would see most stuff at backlevel. I then ran an UPDSYSINF to restore all the Network attributes, System Values, Edit descriptions, etc. Then I upgraded all the LPPs to 6.1, loaded the 6.1 PTFs, and then did my conversions (v5R3 to V5R4 *FILE, *USRQ, *DTAQ, and my STROBJCVN on the programs).

All my QUSRSYS info was there, and everything worked.

I would use the same process, perhaps get that model 600 up to the latest release that it can go to, and then do the above.

Pete

Pete Massiello
iTech Solutions
http://www.itechsol.com