Hi Dave

You're on the same track as I. Yeah, multi-format logicals can't be processed by SQL. Multi-member files can, if you either OVRDBF to one of the members or if you create an alias - the latter is an iSeries-only thing to get around how SQL knows nothing about members.

Actually, I wish that IBM had treated members as the actual table - they do that with path names in FTP, where you don't PUT a FILE, you PUT the member. Alas!

As to CGI/REXX - I'm not sure about using a REXX procedure for CGI. There IS Net.Data, which is a wrapper for CGI. You can call REXX stuff in there - even enter it directly in the scripts, I believe. The main problem? Net.Data is not getting any updates and probably not much support - I have seen discussions of it here.

But I think Net.Data is close to what you might want - you can execute REXX scripts with it - it uses a front-end handler program that is defined to the Apache server. To quote from the web page,

"Net.Data supports calls to RPG, Cobol, C/C++, and REXX applications."

That site to start from is http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/i/software/netdata/

For me the issue around REXX in the browser is, can the Apache server directly execute REXX procedures?

I did a google on "apache rexx" and found some hits - there's a module someone wrote around 2002 for Apache to handle REXX. There's a link at

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-modrexx/

They mention most IBM platforms, not iSeries, however. They do say how the module calls a REXX processor, and such a program does exist on the iSeries, as I recall. One might have to compile the source for use on the iSeries - might be an interesting project.

modrexx is on sourceforge.net, too, at http://modrexx.sourceforge.net - list of functions at http://modrexx.sourceforge.net/RexxFuncs.html

I thought RPG was role-playing game? Oh, yeah, my son is on his computer far too much!

Those planes sound interesting - we have a little airport in my city, Fleming Field, and there's a hangar there for what used to be called the Confederate Air Force - they have a working B-29 that makes a lot of noise over town sometimes. Oh - I think Sky King landed there once upon a time! And maybe Penny, too!

I'll send you my cell number for the future.

Vern