I don't remember the specific models, but printers are (mostly) Lexmark. Scanning the table, IPP is either unknown, or won't work. Initially, they were set up to use LPR, but that was unreliable. Many of the Lexmark printers also perform scanning and FAX functions. When LPR is used, and the printer is busy, printed output was discarded. There were unhappy people, since some spool files were generated in another area and too many times a patient would arrive and the paper would not be there waiting. With the exception of the status staying at MSGW, it seems to work. Just annoying to see a *INFO message when the condition has been cleared hours earlier. In addition, the sa has a scheduled process that watches specific writers and it checks for specific status values. Wrong value, a message is sent to QSYSOPR, and that is not monitored much anymore (messy story).

I am off the rest of the year, thus the lack of detail concerning specific printer model.

John McKee
-----Original message-----
From: "DeLong, Eric" EDeLong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 16:13:29 -0600
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Printer device *INFO messages

You will need to lookup information for your printer model here:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas1b44a2cf4ba778d83862568
250053649f

So far, most of the newer printers we've purchased that come with a
built in network print server seem to support IPP, so you might want to
investigate that option. I typically use a browser to connect to the
printer device to determine which protocols the printer supports...
IBM's documentation is sometimes out of date, as printer manufacturers
may update printer firmware to support new features without IBM being
aware of the change.

We chose to avoid SNMP for printers, due to a security concern
(something about community strings?), but have found IPP to work
perfectly for devices that support it.

-Eric