This isn't a bug in SSH. To test this, I created a file on my Linux system, Fedora 12, changed the permissions, and sent it, using sftp to another user on the same system. The file permissions for the pther user were as they were initially. I can't imagine why that would be different for any system.

See below:

[jmmckee@localhost ~]$ date>date
[jmmckee@localhost ~]$ ls -l date
-rw-rw-r-- 1 jmmckee jmmckee 29 2010-12-20 09:33 date
[jmmckee@localhost ~]$ chmod 666 date
[jmmckee@localhost ~]$ ls -l date
-rw-rw-rw- 1 jmmckee jmmckee 29 2010-12-20 09:33 date
[jmmckee@localhost ~]$ sftp wcmckee@xxxxxxxxx
Connecting to 127.0.0.1...
wcmckee@xxxxxxxxx's password:
sftp> put date
Uploading date to /home/wcmckee/date
date 100% 29 0.0KB/s 00:00
sftp> quit
[jmmckee@localhost ~]$ ssh wcmckee@xxxxxxxxx
wcmckee@xxxxxxxxx's password:
Last login: Mon Dec 20 09:33:19 2010 from localhost.localdomain
[wcmckee@localhost ~]$ ls -l date
-rw-rw-r-- 1 wcmckee wcmckee 29 2010-12-20 09:34 date

The created file permissions are initially -rw-rw-r-- in my directory. I changed it to -rw-rw-rw- in my directory. The file is then copied to another user accound, and the permissions are as they were initially.

John McKee