James -

Yes, if it is thrashing because too much work is being done in the
subsystem - If the number of activity levels is too low for the amount
memory and and the number of jobs allowed to run simultaneously in a given
memory pool, thrashing will occur.

Use WRKSYSSTS to view performance information.

From the WRKSYSSTS screen, press F14 to see the subsystems and determine
which memory pool(s) are being used by the subsystem in question, then press
F12 to go back and view the activity in those memory pools. Too many Non-DB
faults in the memory pools in question will be indicative of thrashing...

If they have never changed it from the shipped defaults, they are probably
running everything in *BASE - not good.

- sjl

James wrote:
The subject line sums it up: We have a batch job running on a customer
box, that is taking at least one or two orders of magnitude longer than
it ought to.

I just happened to notice that it's running in an unusual subsystem.
Could the subsystem be what's acting like a sea-anchor on the job? How
would I determine this?