From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chris Bipes
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 4:08 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: HMC Console necessary?

So it appears from the note below, I can run the latest software on my
C04 but cannot manage my Power 7 system on order. I will definitely call
IBM before the contract is signed. And if the business partner miss
directed me, they will have to upgrade my HMC for free...Ya right.

Package notes:
HMC Model 7310-C03 cannot be upgraded to HMC Version 7.7 If an HMC is used
to manage any POWER7 processor-based server, the HMC must be a model CR3, or
later model, rack-mount HMC or a model C05, or later model, desk-side HMC.
When IBM Systems Director is used to manage an HMC or if the HMC manages
more than 254 partitions, the HMC should have a minimum of 3GB of RAM and be
CR3 model or later rack-mount or C06 or later deskside. HMC Version 7.7.1
supports managing a maximum of 48 servers (non Power 590/595 models) or 32
IBM Power 590/595 servers with a maximum of 1024 partitions across the
managed servers. The following HMC System Plan functions are not implemented
for servers based on
POWER7 technology:
Create system plan (mksysplan) capture of VIOS provisioning info (storage
pools, etherchannels, shared ethernet adapters) Deploy system plan
Auto-install of VIOS, AIX and Linux partitions. Auto-provision storage
pools, shared ethernet adapters and etherchannels by system plan deployment.

--
Chris Bipes
Director of Information Services