Don't know If I missed this or not.. what does WRKSYSTS and WRKDSKSYS look
like?

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Jim Oberholtzer <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

James:

It is the jobs/tasks listed below the summary that you provide that will
show the processes that are running hard. Use F19 to set up an auto
refresh and see if specific jobs start popping into the top 5 jobs/tasks.

Let this screen go for about 3 minutes and then refresh it. If the DB
CPU stays low database work is not the problem, unless there are
temporary indicies being built. The DASD % I was most interested in is
busy, are there some drives that are busier than others? Is the average
above 30%? If there are iASPs or secondary ASPs on the system is there
a difference in how that DASD is reacting with respect to how busy the
drive units are? (Temporary index builds always happen in *SYSBAS and
if there are not enough arms there bad things can happen)

What is the memory fault rate look like? On a box with 3 CPU activated
in this partition I would expect to find quite a bit of memory.

Are there Java threads running behind WebSphere? Zend Server? Each of
those might have quite a bit of work going on in PASE which is hard to
track down. Domino? That will drive lots of threads...........

If Performance tools are on the system you can use performance explorer
to run a PEX trace that will also give you lots of information, however
it takes an educated eye to spot some of the troubles there.

Jim Oberholtzer
CEO/Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects, LLC