Vilena Parrish

------------------------------

message: 2
date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:37:01 -0600
from: Walt Madden <walterross@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: QP2SHELL error

On 2010-10-15 09:27:00 -0600, "Parrish, Vilena R."
<VParrish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

CALL PGM(QP2SHELL) PARM('/QOpenSys/usr/bin/-sh' '-c' &CMD)

I would not recommend using QP2SHELL2 to run a shell script as you are
doing here. When you use QP2SHELL2, the /QOpenSys/usr/bin/sh shell
will run within the same job/process as your CL program and therefore
the shell inherits the same stdin, stdout, stderr file descriptors from
your CL program. These descriptors are not "genuine" stream file
descriptors and are not designed to be further propagated to the child
processes that the shell will create to run the command(s) in your &CMD
command. Usage Note 2 from the QP2SHELL2 documentation also attempts
to describe this situation:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/apis/qp2sh
ell.htm

Instead, I would do something like this:
QSH CMD(&CMD)
Qshell will spawn a new job/process to run your &CMD and that new
process will have "true" stream file stdin/stdout/stderr that a shell
processor needs. But note you'll likely need to adjust the value of
&CMD to prepend the shell processor as you have /QOpenSys/usr/bin/sh -c
(And also note I don't believe Qshell will recognize the login shell
indicator "-" in you're currently using in "/QOpenSys/usr/bin/-sh", but
perhaps you don't really need or want to do login shell processing here?