Scenarios like this may happen for any number of reasons - mainly having
to do with the belief that one does not need to follow the instructions in
the backup and recovery guide for moving to a new system. People often do
this for a number of reasons, including, but not limited to:
- I've done so many restores that I don't need a checklist.
- Can't I save time by not restoring from a full system save but by
installing LIC and OS from media and restoring LPP's and other stuff
later?
- I don't want to take the time to upgrade a system like a 520 (which
should support current releases of the OS just fine) to the release I am
running on my new machine. I know that others have done this but it's too
time consuming to find the checklist on how to perform this - I'll wing
it.
- Downtime costs me a million dollars a minute. I can't afford to take
the time to upgrade my old machine and then restore it on to the new. My
estimate of how much downtime really costs me gets drastically lowered
every time someone suggests putting in a High Availability solution like a
backup machine and Mimix and wants a check.
- Don't like downtime, and we've purchased a HA machine with Mimix.
However the last time we did a switch was the last day the consultant who
installed it was here - 5 years ago. No one processes the audits or the
monitors. Heck, the power went out on it a year ago and we didn't notice
for a week. In summary, we don't trust it.

For example, if you do a full system restore FTP should have been there
(if it was on your old system). However, if you install just LIC and OS
from media and then restore other libraries from your old system (like
QTCP) how do you expect that to put something in QSYS?