Take a look at the rtvcfgsrc command.

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Kevin Corcoran <
kevin_corcoran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is some years ago for a previous employer so memory is sketchy, but
we used to have a similar issue, where occasionally BRMS would get
confused and the tape library would become unusable. As far as I remember
it would sometimes vary on but would still be unusable, or else it would
refuse to vary on. I don't remember ever having to delete and recreate the
device descriptions. If memory serves correctly, I used to resolve the
issue by doing the following:

- vary off the tape library if not already varied off (TAPMLB03)
- vary on the tape device TAP03
- vary off the tape device TAP03 again
- vary on the tape library TAPMLB03

and then the library would become usable again.

Not sure this is even the same issue, and could never find any logic in
why doing the above resolved the problem, but I guess you've nothing to
lose by trying it.
I have some notes at home on dealing with various BRMS issues we
encountered, I'll have a look later to see if the possible solution
described above is correct, or for anything else that might be relevant.

Darell Wheeler <darellwheeler@xxxxxxxx>
13/08/2010 10:27
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Creating Device Description

Hi ,

We have BRMS installed on the AS400.The configuration of Tape Library/Tape
Device is as follows:

Opt Description Status
TAPMLB03 VARIED ON
TAP03 VARIED OFF

If the backup fails here and the tape library cannot be varied on again to
start the backup,then what is the way to fix this issue.

I have heard about deleting the device description and recreating it but
do not eaxctly know how to do it.

Please can anyone let me know the steps to create the device description
and starting the backup.

Many Thanks
Darell

list

This e-mail is confidential and, if you are not the intended recipient,
please return it to us and do not retain or disclose it. We filter and
monitor e-mails in order to protect our system and the integrity,
confidentiality and availability of e-mails. We cannot guarantee that
e-mails are risk free and are not responsible for any related damage or
unauthorised alteration of e-mails by third parties after sending.

Please consider the environment. Think - before you print.
For information on Standard Life, visit our website www.standardlife.ie
Standard Life Assurance Limited adheres to codes of conduct issued by the
Financial Regulator in Ireland and is authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority in the UK. Registered in Ireland (905495) at 90
St Stephen's Green, Dublin 2 and Scotland (SC286833) at Standard Life House,
30 Lothian Road, Edinburgh EH1 2DH. Calls may be recorded. This confidential
email is for the addressee only. If received in error, do not retain, copy,
or disclose it without our consent and please return it to us. We virus scan
and monitor all emails, but are not responsible for any damage caused by a
virus or alteration by a third party after it is sent.